Wednesday, March 5, 2014

August: Osage County Lesson

Today I gave a lesson about August: Osage County in one of my 11th grade classes. (The film comes out in Germany tomorrow.) When Benedict Cumberbatch was shown in the trailer, one of my students completely flipped out. After watching the trailer, I had students get in groups and talk about the specific characters and what might happen in the movie. The group with the Cumberbatch fan decided that the death was not a suicide, but a murder, and Cumberbatch is playing Sherlock and must solve this murder. Then they got worried because John wasn't there. They ended this by asking me if I watch Sherlock...and then they asked me if I supported Johnlock. (The new BBC Sherlock practically begs its fans to support a relationship between John Watson and Sherlock.)

I also talked about the US film rating system. They were shocked that this film would get an R rating, and even more shocked when I told them that The King's Speech is rated R as well. (German films get the equivalent of an R rating for violence, not language or sex.)

Tomorrow is Tag der offnen Tuer, so I'm looking forward to that. (Tag der offnen Tuer - literally day of the open door, but it means open house.) My 5th graders will be performing Robin Hood for their parents in English!

No comments:

Post a Comment