Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tuesday

Yesterday I went to the Auslaenderamt (foreigner office) to apply for my visa. It was very easy, and the man wrote something that looked suspiciously like 30.07.14 on my application, which I am hoping means my visa will be valid until the end of July! I'll get to go pick it up in 3 weeks.

After that I had to go to school. I headed to the teachers' room before my first lesson (I was going to give a presentation about my hometown), but I still don't have a key.  I'm going to get one tomorrow, though! So I knocked on the door. When a lady opened it, I tried to go in, but the lady wouldn't let me in! She kinda started yelling at me, and my German skills just shut down. I think she was asking me who I wanted to see...finally she said a sentence with the word "englisch" in it and I nodded and she let me in. It was embarrassing and worrisome that I forgot all my German when in a vaguely stressful situation. Later she came up to me and apologized (Actually, she had a teacher translate her apology because she thought I didn't speak German. Oh well). It still hurt my feelings - I know I'm supposed to be happy that I look so young and I'm going to love this in a few years, but for now it's embarrassing and frustrating to not be seen as an adult, especially when I'm headed to a class filled with junior and senior students. How can these students ever respect me if the other teachers don't think I'm old enough to be treated as an equal?

After that joyous experience, I had some fun teaching my first half-lesson. I had prepared way too much stuff, and didn't get through half of what I prepared, which is much better than running out, but also bad because I didn't get to the questions I had for the students so they didn't have to speak very much.

Then I went to a 6th grade class where the teacher requested that I switch to his 11th grade class on a different day. So I just sat at the back for that one.

I finally braved my fears afterschool and went into an Eiscafe. Although it was 50 degrees outside, I ordered an Eisschockolade, which appeared to be chocolate milk, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce. It was delicious! I ate it while reading Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell on my kindle. I'm glad I got a Kindle - I can read English books whenever I want, and I can borrow books from the public library in Fay for it!

The local Oktoberfest starts on Friday. In honor of that, an amusement park was being built in the Domplatz. The roller coaster looked safer than any carnival roller coaster I'd ever seen, and just as safe as most of the rides at Frontier City.

I also received some letters from some of my mom's first grade students recently! They were very sweet, and I taped them up on one of my cabinets.

Bis spaeter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment