Saturday, September 28, 2013

Soccer Saturday...noch einmal.

It's soccer Saturday!! I, as always, managed to have many glamorous European adventures before 1 pm.

On the way to soccer time, about 6 players for Rot-Weiss Erfurt got on the tram at Agentur fuer Arbeit. They were talking about soccer. (I was shocked!) But then I decided that their presence was going to translate into me being able to actually play soccer today, which kinda worked!

For the first game, there were only 6 of us playing (then 2 more showed up, so it was 4 on a team). I was in the goal for most of it, and I did not do too badly! I actually saved a few and the score was either even or within one at the end. The second game was worse because more people showed up, and they were all a lot more aggressive than I was, so I basically just watched the game from the field. Oh well...c'est la vie. (We play games with 10-minute halves. It's not like I played soccer for 3 hours.) Besides, everyone knows that I don't go to soccer because I'm good at soccer; I go to soccer to talk to Americans who are my age. And I am very good at doing that.

On the way home it became apparent that there's a RWE game today. People were already gearing up for the game, and it reminded me of how excited everyone is in Fayetteville on game day. For some reason, everyone and their mother was on the 3 tram on my way home. And they didn't get off before my stop, which is odd (it usually clears out a bit before Melchendorf). Luckily, I was right by the door, so I could lean against the post with the door open button. (The internet tells me it's the day of the open door for the station at the end of the line. This explains the crowds.)

The sun is out today in Erfurt! It makes a huge difference in the weather when it's sunny because it's pretty rare here. It feels like the sun is closer to Germany than it was to Oklahoma, but that may just be that I forget what the sun feels like after a few cloudy days.

I'm making tentative plans to visit Holzkirchen next weekend, and I am so excited!! I've missed that town so much, and I can't wait to ride the BOB again! Then after that, my friend Maggie who is also on a Fulbright is coming to stay for a few days over her fall break. It should be an interesting month here in Erfurt. (OH MY GOODNESS. I can teach my kids the "E-town! Small town!" cheer from high school and it would totally apply...besides the part where this is definitely not a town. But it is small enough that you see people you know every time you go somewhere.)

No comments:

Post a Comment