Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Krankheit & Klassen

Ah, my semi-annual sinus infection is upon us! Luckily, I brought medicine from home to help me cope with this, so it shouldn't be that bad. I'm also using this as an opportunity to try all these weird homeopathic medicinal teas and lozenges that Germans use instead of actual medicine. Yesterday I had Erkaeltungstee (Cold Tea. Like the sickness, not the temperature.) because that's what the girl who lived here before me left in the cabinet. Today I bought actual tea for throat pain as well as lozenges. I think it's weird that drinking tea actually makes me feel better...so I haven't been using my illegally imported medications yet. If it gets worse, it's nice to have that to fall back on! (Note to all worried familial figures: I believe this is a super mild sinus infection. I'm taking my vitamins and eating soup, so I'm not going to die.)

This is how I felt during 11th grade English today. 
The miraculous power of tea has made me feel better!

In other news, I made my 8th graders play the famous people game, which went pretty well until I described Daniel Bruehl and no one had heard of him. He's my favorite German actor & he's in a new movie that comes out tomorrow here, and I've seen it advertised on German tv, so I'm not sure why these kids don't know him. I guess they're too young to have enjoyed Good-bye Lenin (see below) or Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei.


The 11th grade class I was in today has adolescence and leaving home as their topic all year. (All the 11th graders have this as their topic currently, but I see 4 classes of 11th graders and each has a different teacher and different approach to the topic.) Today they read an excerpt from Into the Wild and watched a few scenes from the film. Their question about the scene was "What do hypocritical and prick mean?" I explained that it wasn't polite to say the second word...which resulted in the male half of the class saying it quite often for the rest of the hour. 

I got a letter in the mail today stating that the national alien office sent my visa to Erfurt, so I should get to pick that up next week. I'm still waiting on my debit card from Sparkasse though; I wish it would hurry up & get here. The government shut-down has made the exchange rate from dollar to euros really bad for Americans, so I'd like to be able to stop using my American bank account. C'mon government, stop making the dollar so weak!

No comments:

Post a Comment